It's time to take a bite out of bullying!
Did you know 1 out of 5 kids are bullied? The RxSmile Orthodontics team, in tandem with the American Association of Orthodontists, is helping spread the message of kindness, acceptance and inclusion among teens. In the wise words of Dr. Greenberg, “Bullying Bites – Don’t Do It!”
Bullying Prevention Resources
October is National Bullying Prevention Month as well as National Orthodontic Health Month. Orthodontists worldwide are coming together to take a stand and encourage patients to help spread kindness. Here’s some resources to help you and your teen create a world without bullying:
TEENS AGAINST BULLYING
Wednesday, October 19 is Unity Day. Wear and share orange to show unity for kindness, acceptance, and inclusion and to send a visible message that no child should ever experience bullying. The Pacer Center’s Teens Against Bullying is a great resource to help teens take action.
STAND FOR THE SILENT
Founded in 2010 Stand for the Silent is one of the leading and most effective anti-bullying organizations. Their mission is to bring awareness to bullying and the real devastation it causes.
Parents, understand the Warning Signs your Child is Being Bullied or At-Risk:
- Sudden change in school attendance.
- Frequent complaints of stomach aches, headaches, loss of appetite, etc. especially before going to school and returning.
- Avoids recess.
- Declining school work/participation or overinvestment in academic performance and/or becoming the teacher’s pet.
- Has a learning disability or obvious difference from other students.
- Appears pre-occupied and has difficulty concentrating.
- Insufficient social skills, inadequate self-assertion skills and socially isolated.
- Body language reflects low self-esteem or appears physically smaller/ weaker/ clumsier than other students.
- Irritates other students.
- Passive, withdrawn, overly sensitive.
- Displays signs of anxiety.
- Displays signs of depression.
- Presents injuries/upset with explanations that do not seem to fit.
- Talks about running away or suicide.